Saturday, February 25, 2012

Blog 4: What is Stern's methodology? what skills does she use? How do the limitations of autobiography identified by Evans apply to Stern's essay?


A positivist methodology shapes Stern's work. My basis for this claim is her use of the condition of PTSD as a type of rule; in essence, Stern is applying her understanding of this external rule to explain the phenomena of both denial and violence. However, as we discussed in class, she also wields her conception of the condition of denial pragmatically as well--it serves her purposes, towards a conceptualized end that she has already foreseen. I was too myopic in my initial reading of Stern's work to see this approach.

Stern gathers "historic" police transcripts from the event of her rape. She retells the event through the voice of a narrative. The events and actions of external entities-- the town, the police, her parents-- are relayed to us. It is left up to the reader to decide a judgement upon these persons and places, or perhaps to decide that none is necessary.

The quandary of judgement results from a limitation outlined by Evans: it is impossible to establish the categorical imperative-- a logical absolute whereby an action is necessary -- when the impetus for that action is hearsay-- which, unfortunately is what an autobiography is.

Now the limitations of the Kantian basis of moral judgements I have outlined is purely logical, however one would be quick to note that it is the basis for our legal system, and the reason why hearsay evidence is inadmissible in court cases, except as a plea to pathos.

I think that is my issue with Stern's work: it is an emotional appeal masquerading as an academic, reasoned argument on violence and denial.

It is important to try and understand our own assumptions and biases, and perhaps I do not value emotional appeals; nevertheless, to discount them as somehow inferior would be rubbish as well.

I think then, perhaps, that I agree with my original hypothesis that I asserted in class: that this work was Stern exercising an asymmetrical form --the autobiographical method-- in order to increase her own understanding; that her academic background was a wall of sorts. I would even venture to say that Stern had to suspend her intuition in order to complete this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment